Connyak Paddle Descriptions The following descriptions are for the “usual routes” often taken on Connyak Paddles. Wind, weather and tides are important considerations in choosing a route and many alternate routes are available from these locations. It is suggested that the reader follow along with the narrative on a chart. All distances listed are approximate for the round trip and do not consider any “wandering” that would add to the distance.
- Launch from the Barn Island State Boat Launch. Please double or triple park with friends if possible, as this is often crowded with motor boaters in season.
- Many variations are possible in this large and interesting area.
- The “usual” route is to leave the launch and head South toward the East end of Sandy Point, then toward the tip of Napatree Point.
- If conditions allow, go around Napatree toward the Light House at Watch Hill.
- Lunch can be taken on either the front side or back side of Napatree beach.
- The backside provides more shelter for landing, the front often requires surf landings.
- After lunch, tour Watch Hill Harbor before returning to the launch.
- About 11 miles.
Note: Conditions rounding Napatree Point to the open ocean can range from benign to very rough, depending on the weather and tides.
Overview of Typical Paddle Route Click on the link for an