Connyak Paddle Descriptions The following descriptions are for the “usual routes” often taken on Connyak Paddles. Wind, weather and tides are important considerations in choosing a route and many alternate routes are available from these locations. It is suggested that the reader follow along with the narrative on a chart. All distances listed are approximate for the round trip and do not consider any “wandering” that would add to the distance.
Jamestown - Half Circumnavigation
- Launch from Fort Wetherill Park, proceed Southwest out of the cove and across the mouth of Mackerel Cove
- Turn South along the East shore of Beavertail Point
- Round Beavertail Point and head North up the West side Beavertail
- At the top of Beavertail you can curl right into Sheffield Cove
- Alternately continue North and circle Dutch Island
- Sandy beaches are available for lunch spots in either location
- Once entering Sheffield Cove, continue South to the end of the cove
- Take out to the right side of the cove and carry across the road (about 150 feet)
- Launch from the beach and head South through Mackerel Cove
- At the end of the cove, turn left (East) to return to the launch
- Approximately 12 miles
Note: Conditions rounding the tip of Beavertail can be very strong. Take caution to read expected weather and surf conditions before joining this paddle.
Overview of Typical Paddle Route Click on the link for an