Connyak Paddle Descriptions The following descriptions are for the usual routes often taken on Connyak Paddles. Wind, weather and tides are important considerations in choosing a route and many alternate routes are available from these locations. It is suggested that the reader follow along with the narrative on a chart. All distances listed are approximate for the round trip and do not consider any wandering that would add to the distance.
Barn Island to Watch Hill
- Launch from the Barn Island State Boat Launch. Please double or triple park with friends if possible, as this is often crowded with motor boaters in season.
- Many variations are possible in this large and interesting area.
- The usual route is to leave the launch and head South toward the East end of Sandy Point, then toward the tip of Napatree Point.
- If conditions allow, go around Napatree toward the Light House at Watch Hill.
- Lunch can be taken on either the front side or back side of Napatree beach.
- The backside provides more shelter for landing, the front often requires surf landings.
- After lunch, tour Watch Hill Harbor before returning to the launch.
- About 11 miles.
Note: Conditions rounding Napatree Point to the open ocean can range from benign to very rough, depending on the weather and tides.
Overview of Typical Paddle Route Click for an